Monday, February 15, 2016

Sorrows and Joys


Mary's Baby

It is a beautiful day at Tenwek, 77 degrees and sunny but my heart is heavy. Another baby has died.  The mother, Susan, was very difficult to reach at first but we have become close over the past week.  Her baby girl, named “Blessing”, was born with a cardiac congenital defect.  The cardiac team was here last week and if anything could have been done the timing would have been perfect.   Sadly, the anomaly  was inoperable.   As I write she is waiting for her husband to arrive.. She is from some distance away so she has been here bearing this tragedy alone.  This is often the case for women at the hospital.   Again words are so inadequate especially with language and cultural differences.   I love the name “Blessing”, for children indeed are a gift from the Lord and a blessing.  This  little “Blessing”, was not with us long but will forever be in our hearts.

On a joyful note, I will tell you the story of Mary.  Mary came into the hospital with malaria and was showing signs of psychosis.  She was hospitalized in the ICU where she delivered a premature girl.  For days after being well enough to leave the ICU she showed no emotion and refused to see her beautiful baby girl. This is where I enter the picture as someone needed to take care of the baby.  Happily, I can tell you that Mary began showing interest in her baby yesterday when I brought her to the bedside.  Yesterday her mother arrived to help.  Today Mary  came to Nursery,  expressed breast milk, and showed an interest in feeding and caring for her baby.  She smiled and showed appropriate emotions.  What a wonderful moment!   When I look at her baby I wonder what the future holds for her but I remember that the Lord knows us all by name and loves each of us.   Please pray for Mary and her family and all the children of the world who face unspeakable hardships.

It was interesting that in Bible quizzing this Sunday we studied the parable of “The Laborers in the Vineyard” where the last shall be first.  It was very difficult for me as a rich white woman to explain the  "hidden meaning” to these young children many of whom are orphans or children without much earthly means.  There is great joy here and such trust in the Lord for everything.  We can learn so many lessons from them.  These experiences challenge my faith!

Love to you all,

Miriam

First and Last

3 comments:

  1. Micki, this coming Sunday we are baptizing two children at my little church. As I have been thinking about the sermon and on being called the 'Beloved' I just read about your "blessing' baby and I may have to share your story! ...they are so very 'blessed' to have you, 'Beloved' , there with them! We are all one, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micki and Marvin, Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and giving us "eyes" into the blessings of God's love in Africa. Praying for you and those at the Tenwick Hospital. -M. Zumbro-

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI....Duke just beat Carolina 74-73. Thought you should know!

    ReplyDelete